How good are tests? As a teacher, you must carefully plan the kind of test you will be presenting to the class. The test must to be easy nor too difficult. You must construct test items/test questions with the right mental attitude, right attitude towards your students and to your profession. The following will help you determine if your test needs improvement and will provide suggestion for making it more effective.
- Decide purpose
- Improvement of individual learner
- To maintain standard
- To select pupils
- To motivate and guide learning
- To furnish instruction
- Listen content areas and how many questions you need.
- Create items.
- Decide format/type of items.
- Create key answers.
Suggested Guidelines In Writing Effective Test Items.Multiple Choice
- Do not use unfamiliar words, terms phrases.
- Do not use modifiers whose meanings can differ from one person to another.
- Make each item as short as possible.
- Avoid presenting sequenced items in the same orders as in the text.
- Avoid items that reveal the answer to another item.
These tips will surely help us to remind ourselves as teachers that constructing effective test items will help us to attain our goals.